Feb 4, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Welcome to 2014, where Zlatan Ibrahimovic is still ‘The Zlatan’, something he reminded Nantes goalkeeper Remy Riou five minutes into today’s Coupe de la Ligue semifinal.
That’s where Paris Saint-Germain was in action on Tuesday, with early pressure from the Parisian attackers forcing the Nantes keeper into a clearance that could only euphemistically be called ill-advised. Playing Rafa Nadal to Riou’s ‘dude who should not play tennis against Rafa Nadal’, Ibra’s return sailed 30 yards before flexing the back of the net, cruising just under the crossbar and over a spawning Riou to give PSG an unlikely opening score.
Then again, was it really that unlikely? Given some of the other feats we’ve been Zlatan perform, today’s goal was relatively easy. It’s not like this is a scorpion kick around a diving defender (against Bologna six years ago) or a 30-yard bicycle kick to cap a four-goal day (against England last year).
Given who we’re talking about, there’s nothing unlikely about it. If you’re reading, Zlatan, I’m sorry I suggested otherwise.
Nantes would go on to pull the goal back nine minutes from time, resilience that only angered Ibra. In the 90th minute, Ibrahimovic’s second goal of the day gave PSG a 2-1 lead, putting Ligue 1′s leaders into the competition’s final.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs