Feb 5, 2014, 12:54 PM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off this weekend, alarming Real Madrid supporters intent on his heroics being a part of today’s Copa del Rey semi-final derby date with Atletico Madrid.
But Ronaldo will be available to the Whites, as his three-match suspension will only apply to La Liga matches.
Real Madrid drew 1-1 with Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, ending an eight-match winning streak. Ronaldo received a a straight red after a battle with Carlos Gurpegi. Ronaldo raised his hand to Gurpegi, though it was difficult to tell whether contact was made.
He received a one-game suspension for raising his hand and two more for making a gesture as he exited the field. His club is expected to protest the suspension on grounds that the referee’s report and call were inaccurate.
Gareth Bale is also expected to be available for today’s first leg at the Bernabeu.
Atletico Madrid leads the race for the La Liga title by three points over both Real Madrid and Barcelona. Losing the world’s reigning Ballon d’Or winner is not going to help them overcome the deficit.
- 2015 MLS Season Preview: Top 10 Newcomers 0
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0