Feb 5, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Seven points out of the playoffs with two matches-in-hand on its Championship competition, Wigan Athletic have found defensive reinforcements with a former MLS defender.
Swedish back Markus Holgersson has found a home with the Latics after 67 appearances with the New York Red Bulls over the past two seasons, but became a free agent after the season.
“Markus had a few options available to him,” said Latics manager Uwe Rosler. “We are delighted he has chosen to come to Wigan Athletic. He brings a wealth of experience, together with the versatility to play in a number of positions because of his good technical ability.
“The defense is an area where we needed strengthening and Markus will definitely help the squad moving forwards.”
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 0
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 1
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6