Feb 5, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Seven points out of the playoffs with two matches-in-hand on its Championship competition, Wigan Athletic have found defensive reinforcements with a former MLS defender.
Swedish back Markus Holgersson has found a home with the Latics after 67 appearances with the New York Red Bulls over the past two seasons, but became a free agent after the season.
“Markus had a few options available to him,” said Latics manager Uwe Rosler. “We are delighted he has chosen to come to Wigan Athletic. He brings a wealth of experience, together with the versatility to play in a number of positions because of his good technical ability.
“The defense is an area where we needed strengthening and Markus will definitely help the squad moving forwards.”
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 1
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 2
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2