Feb 5, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Seven points out of the playoffs with two matches-in-hand on its Championship competition, Wigan Athletic have found defensive reinforcements with a former MLS defender.
Swedish back Markus Holgersson has found a home with the Latics after 67 appearances with the New York Red Bulls over the past two seasons, but became a free agent after the season.
“Markus had a few options available to him,” said Latics manager Uwe Rosler. “We are delighted he has chosen to come to Wigan Athletic. He brings a wealth of experience, together with the versatility to play in a number of positions because of his good technical ability.
“The defense is an area where we needed strengthening and Markus will definitely help the squad moving forwards.”
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0