Feb 5, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Seven points out of the playoffs with two matches-in-hand on its Championship competition, Wigan Athletic have found defensive reinforcements with a former MLS defender.
Swedish back Markus Holgersson has found a home with the Latics after 67 appearances with the New York Red Bulls over the past two seasons, but became a free agent after the season.
“Markus had a few options available to him,” said Latics manager Uwe Rosler. ”We are delighted he has chosen to come to Wigan Athletic. He brings a wealth of experience, together with the versatility to play in a number of positions because of his good technical ability.
“The defense is an area where we needed strengthening and Markus will definitely help the squad moving forwards.”
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''