Feb 5, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Seven points out of the playoffs with two matches-in-hand on its Championship competition, Wigan Athletic have found defensive reinforcements with a former MLS defender.
Swedish back Markus Holgersson has found a home with the Latics after 67 appearances with the New York Red Bulls over the past two seasons, but became a free agent after the season.
“Markus had a few options available to him,” said Latics manager Uwe Rosler. “We are delighted he has chosen to come to Wigan Athletic. He brings a wealth of experience, together with the versatility to play in a number of positions because of his good technical ability.
“The defense is an area where we needed strengthening and Markus will definitely help the squad moving forwards.”
- Report: 10-year-old daughter of former FIFA official received over $3 million 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs Sunderland 0
- Homegrown star Shipp hoping to guide Chicago to first win of 2014 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 35 0
- Jurgen Klinsmann on Jozy Altidore’s situation, USMNT squad and more 3
- Three Liverpool players on PFA Player of the Year shortlist 0