Feb 5, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
What do you get the guy who has everything? A little piece of yourself.
That’s no Hallmark card. Based on what we saw today on Twitter, that’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s philosophy to high-level gift-giving, with the Paris Saint-Germain icon taking time out after his Tuesday flamboyance to say “Happy Birthday” to another of the world’s biggest stars.
Cristiano Ronaldo turned 29 on Wednesday. (Seriously: That kid Manchester United bought from Sporting? He’s 2-freaking-9 years old.) Ibra — the nice, dues-paying member of the Superstar Soccer Society that he is — remembered his pal’s birthday the way all celebrities do. He consulted his marketing team and came up with a clever, self-promoting tweet:
Zlatan Ibrahimović (@Ibra_official) February 05, 2014
As far as clever self-promotion goes, this is good stuff. Just because it’s Cristiano’s birthday doesn’t mean it can’t be about Zlatan.
Still, I can’t decide the best part: the actual t-shirt; the strategic placement of the scissors and bow; folding back the wrapping paper to reveal the pattern; or the hashtag – #DareToZlatan. Is daring to Zlatan just trolling people on their birthday? If so, I’ll definitely #DareToZlatan PST’s Steve Davis when his birthday comes around.
Shortly after Real Madrid defeated Atlético on Wednesday, Cristiano Ronaldo responded. As of the time of this post, he was beating Zlatan in favorites but trailing on retweets:
Thank you for the birthday present @Ibra_official. It will look better on me than you though.—
Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) February 05, 2014
Which tweet was better? Um … tweet for Zlatan, but share for Cristiano? Eh, forget it. Ibra and Ronnie win Twitter for the day.
Now whose birthday’s tomorrow?
- MLS Cup Playoffs Preview: Red Bulls vs. Revolution, Galaxy vs. Sounders in Conference Championship first legs 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City 0
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 4
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 1