Feb 5, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Window Shopping: Every single Norwich fan was hoping for more attacking talents to arrive during the January transfer window. Yeah, that didn’t happen. Only one player arrived for the Canaries as Newcastle’s out of favor Argentine winger Jonas Guttierez signed on loan until the end of the 2103-14 campaign. Don’t get me wrong, Gutierrez is a really good player but has been out of fitness and form for quite some time. Norwich’s two big summer signings, Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Gary Hooper haven’t been banging in goals this season, with van Wolfswinkel really struggling since his move from Sporting Lisbon.
The Canaries have scored just 19 goals in 24 PL games, the second lowest total in the entire league. That needed to be addressed but they couldn’t get it done.
Players In: Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle, Loan)
Grade: C -
Yeah, it’s a pretty low grade for the Canaries, because Chris Hughton has failed to strengthen in the area he needed to. However that might not be his fault as Norwich’s resources are likely to be limited, especially after splashing out over $20 million on van Wolfswinkel and Hooper this summer, and January didn’t have many bargains.
Last year Norwich brought in the likes of Kei Kamara to bolster the strikeforce late in the season and that worked to help keep them up. I do worry for the Canaries this year though, because I just don’t see where the goals are coming from. That, and they are only two points above the relegation zone.
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 0
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 2
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6