Feb 5, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Window Shopping: Every single Norwich fan was hoping for more attacking talents to arrive during the January transfer window. Yeah, that didn’t happen. Only one player arrived for the Canaries as Newcastle’s out of favor Argentine winger Jonas Guttierez signed on loan until the end of the 2103-14 campaign. Don’t get me wrong, Gutierrez is a really good player but has been out of fitness and form for quite some time. Norwich’s two big summer signings, Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Gary Hooper haven’t been banging in goals this season, with van Wolfswinkel really struggling since his move from Sporting Lisbon.
The Canaries have scored just 19 goals in 24 PL games, the second lowest total in the entire league. That needed to be addressed but they couldn’t get it done.
Players In: Jonas Gutierrez (Newcastle, Loan)
Grade: C –
Yeah, it’s a pretty low grade for the Canaries, because Chris Hughton has failed to strengthen in the area he needed to. However that might not be his fault as Norwich’s resources are likely to be limited, especially after splashing out over $20 million on van Wolfswinkel and Hooper this summer, and January didn’t have many bargains.
Last year Norwich brought in the likes of Kei Kamara to bolster the strikeforce late in the season and that worked to help keep them up. I do worry for the Canaries this year though, because I just don’t see where the goals are coming from. That, and they are only two points above the relegation zone.
- Brek Shea’s USMNT return includes a personal, artistic touch 3
- Wayne Rooney may play in midfield: How will Chelsea, Manchester United line up? 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 33 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Red-hot teams will keep rolling 3
- MLS Week 7 preview: RSL vs. Whitecaps, Galaxy vs. Sporting KC in the wild West 0
- Injury crisis for Manchester United as four key players to miss clash vs. Chelsea 1