Feb 5, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Window Shopping: It was a successful transfer window for Saints, because they didn’t lose any of their talented young stars. The likes of Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw were consistently linked with big moves away to the top clubs in England, but Southampton resisted any temptation to cash in on their young English talent as Mauricio Pochettino‘s project continues to move forward. There was some unrest during January, as hugely successful Executive Chairman Nicola Cortese abruptly left the club, but not much has changed as owner Katharina Liebherr insisted no players would be sold and that the club would carry as if nothing had happened.
Liebherr has been true to her word, with the only high profile departure being club record signing Dani Osvaldo, who joined Juventus on loon with a view to a permanent deal after allegedly headbutting and punching teammate Jose Fonte in training and being banned by the club. Getting rid of Osvaldo became Saints’ main aim during this window, plus they also held onto talisman Rickie Lambert too.
Players In: None
As we mentioned, Saints didn’t bring anyone in this January, but why would you need to when you have so many young studs rolling off the production line at their renowned academy? Right now they have academy products Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Callum Chambers, James Ward-Prowse, Harrison Reed and Sam Gallagher regularly involved in the first-team squad and are the envy of clubs across the PL.
Many thought Pochettino would bring in another striker to replace Osvaldo, after his remarkable training ground bust-up which saw him banned, but instead 18-year-old Gallagher was put into the first team and has shown he’s good enough to play in the PL. Keeping onto Lallana, Shaw and Lambert was key for stability at St. Mary’s. Now Saints can kick on in the final few months of the season to try and bag their highest-ever finish in the PL.
- Inside Look: Not much separating Red Bulls, Revolution ahead of Eastern Conference Championship, leg 1 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Inside Look: LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders to square off in Western Conference Championship, leg 1 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City 0
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 4
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0