Feb 6, 2014, 9:03 PM EST
Nemanja Vidic has been among the top Premier League center backs, and certainly the standard bearer at his position around Old Trafford, almost from the day he landed at Manchester United in January of 2006 (ending a two-and-a-half year pursuit by the club, in case you may have forgotten or never knew).
Well, his time at Old Trafford has just about reached its expiration date.
We had hints lately, but tonight it’s all there to see … or, perhaps, to lament if you count yourself among the worldwide legions of United supporters. The stately Serbian defender, whose contract with David Moyes’ team expires in a few months, told the team’s website that he will not play for United beyond this spring.
After noting the 15 trophies won at the club and thoughtfully acknowledging the opportunities and the fans, Vidic, 32, said:
I have decided that I will move on at the end of this season. I want to challenge myself again and try to make the best of myself in the coming years. … I’m not considering staying in England as the only club I ever wanted to play for here is Manchester United and I was lucky enough to be part of this club for so many years. I’ve got a few options to move on and I will choose the right one for me and for my family.”
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0