Feb 6, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Window Shopping: After losing Gareth Bale and replacing him with seven high-value transfers, Spurs were one of the few teams who entered the January transfer window not in need of much help.
Players In: None.
Players Out: Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC, $9.8m), Simon Dawkins (Derby, $816,000), Shaquile Coulthirst (Leyton Orient, Loan), Jonathan Obika (Brighton & Hove Albion, Loan), Ryan Fredericks (Millwal, Loan), Adam Smith (Bournemouth, $409,000), Lewis Holtby (Fulham, Loan).
The argument could be made that by selling Jermain Defoe to MLS side Toronto FC, another striker should be brought in. But with Roberto Soldado, the emergence of Emmanuel Adebayor under new manager Tim Sherwood and some talented youths on the up-and-up, a rush buy was not necessary.
Letting Lewis Holtby go out on loan in a bid to make the German World Cup side was a good move. Rumors had him wanting a complete transfer away from White Hart Lane but the winger has bags of talent and selling him – or any other of the new boys brought in like Etienne Capoue – would have been a mistake.
The most important move Spurs made this season was to get rid of Andre Villas-Boas and hire Sherwood. The 45-year old is the quintessential player’s manager. He doesn’t over-coach, has a relaxed approach and he afford his players freedom in their style of play. Whether he’s the long-term answer is unclear but in the short-term he’s everything Spurs front office needed to counter-balance the overly-complicated ways imposed by Villas-Boas.
In conclusion, Tottenham’s (potential) success this season had little to no bearing on the January transfer window. All the pieces were (and are) in place, it’s now up to Sherwood to make sure they fit snug.
- Nigel Pearson fired as manager by Leicester City 1
- NBC Sports to air Barclays Asia Trophy as Arsenal, Everton and Stoke head to Singapore 0
- How should USWNT line up against Germany in World Cup semifinal? 3
- Pogba to Barcelona for $90 million? Reports in Italy say deal discussed 4
- Report: Manchester United make $45 million bid for Sergio Ramos 8
- Foot injury forces DF Hector Moreno to withdraw from Mexico’s 2015 Gold Cup squad 2