Feb 7, 2014, 8:04 PM EST
It’s the first edition of Americans Abroad since Jurgen Klinsmann admitted that the door for players to work their way onto his roster will be open until May, name-dropping Danny Williams, Oguchi Onyewu and Tim Ream in the process.
So where will they, and the other Yanks plying their trade outside of Major League Soccer, be competing this weekend? Let’s dig in…
Brek Shea and the Barnsley Tykes (not a band name, but it should be) find themselves hosting seventh place Ipswich Town on Saturday afternoon. Taking three points is big, but still wouldn’t bring the Tykes out of the relegation zone. Still, since Shea arrived the No. 23 club is 1W-2D-1L in Championship play. Not bad.
The only squad to beat Barnsley in league play on Shea’s watch has been Oguchi Onyewu’s Sheffield Wednesday side, winning 1-0 last Saturday. The win pulled Wednesday up to No. 17 in the Championship and, like Shea, Onyewu’s arrival has coincided with solid play. The Owls are 2W-2D in four matches and Onyewu has a goal and an assist.
The next match for Onyewu will be against Williams and Reading, who currently sits in a playoff spot. Williams finally broke through for his first goal of the season, adding an assist in a 3-0 win at Millwall and will look to repeat his heroics against his American teammate.
Tim Ream’s a constant starter for Bolton, but the bad news is that Bolton is a bad team. The Wanderers have lost four-straight overall and sit just four points out of the relegation zone. Bolton hosts Bournemouth to try and bust their slump.
To the PL, where Clint Dempsey will look to find his missing form at Old Trafford. Even stealing all three points would leave Fulham in the relegation zone, but American supporters are simply hoping for a semblance of the Dempsey they desire for the summer’s trip to Brazil.
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7