Feb 7, 2014, 2:16 PM EST
More bad news surfaced from Brazil on Friday, as a construction worker was tragically killed in an accident outside the Arena da Amazonia in the city of Manaus.
Local organizers confirmed the death, which is the third linked to the stadium’s construction in the Amazon rainforest.
According to spokesman Eric Gamboa, the worker died on Friday after an accident whilst dismantling a crane that was used to put up the roof at the World Cup 2014 venue.
The death toll now stands at five across stadiums holding games in the 2014 showpiece event, after Friday’s tragic incident, as two workers were killed in Sao Paolo back in November when a crane collapsed onto the roof at the Arena da Sao Paolo. The other two deaths came in Manaus back in December, as unions representing the construction workers have called for strikes after the death toll continues to rise. In October the stadium in Cuiaba also caught fire after an electrical fault, as the issues facing Brazil continue to mount up.
Stadium across Brazil are struggling to get finished ahead of the World Cup which kicks off in June, and FIFA have become increasingly worried that certain venues will not be ready in time for final inspections before the World Cup arrives this summer.
Recently head coach Jurgen Klinsmann and members of U.S. soccer visited Manaus on the teams training trip to Brazil, as the USA will play Portugal in the heart of the Amazon rainforest on June 18 in their Group G encounter.
MORE: World Cup stadium in Brazil partially collapses; two dead, another seriously injured
MORE: Another tragedy at a World Cup construction site, as a worker falls to his death
MORE: World Cup venue in Brazil catches fire while under construction
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 4
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire