Feb 7, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
The D.C. United rebuild continues with the acquisition of La Liga left back Cristian Fernandez Salas, who is sometimes referred to simply as Cristian.
The 28-year-old spent the last two seasons with Almeria of Spain’s top flight, where he scored six times in 36 matches. He’s known for his ability to get forward and has good size at 6-foot.
DCU’s defense will look markedly different in 2014 — as will the rest of the team, but I digress — aside from Chris Korb. Over the past few months, D.C. United general manager Dave Kasper has picked up Bobby Boswell from Houston, first-round draft pick Steve Birnbaum, Sean Franklin from Los Angeles and Nana Attakora from San Jose.
“We are pleased to be adding a left back with solid La Liga experience who is in the prime of his career,” Kasper said. “Cristian is very good at getting forward to join the attack and providing quality service. This move helps solidify our backline moving into the new season.”
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1