Feb 7, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
The D.C. United rebuild continues with the acquisition of La Liga left back Cristian Fernandez Salas, who is sometimes referred to simply as Cristian.
The 28-year-old spent the last two seasons with Almeria of Spain’s top flight, where he scored six times in 36 matches. He’s known for his ability to get forward and has good size at 6-foot.
DCU’s defense will look markedly different in 2014 — as will the rest of the team, but I digress — aside from Chris Korb. Over the past few months, D.C. United general manager Dave Kasper has picked up Bobby Boswell from Houston, first-round draft pick Steve Birnbaum, Sean Franklin from Los Angeles and Nana Attakora from San Jose.
“We are pleased to be adding a left back with solid La Liga experience who is in the prime of his career,” Kasper said. “Cristian is very good at getting forward to join the attack and providing quality service. This move helps solidify our backline moving into the new season.”
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 0
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 1
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2