Feb 7, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Young Argentine midfielder Matias Laba was a bright spot in another dark year for Toronto FC during his first year with the club in 2013, but brightened hopes for the club are finding no room for the 22-year-old, and The Toronto Sun reports he’ll be moved by March 1.
TFC coach Ryan Nelsen did not want to lose the youngster, but has little choice; With the additions of Michael Bradley, Gilberto and Jermain Defoe, the Reds are up against the limit on Designated Players.
Could we see another inter-MLS loan? Surely there are plenty of teams searching for a versatile midfielder who’s proven he can move at the MLS level. Laba started 16 matches for TFC, scoring once, after moving to MLS from Argentinos Juniors of Argentina’s top flight in late April 2013.
Perhaps Montreal could be a destination. Matteo Ferrari may not mind the new blood, but is Laba’s game too similar to fellow Argentine DP Hernan Bernardello?
Additionally, with today’s reported addition of Brazilian No.1 goalkeeper Julio Cesar from Queens Park Rangers, TFC made room on the roster by parting ways with left back Jonas Elmer.
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 4
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 5
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 9
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3