Feb 7, 2014, 8:18 AM EDT
Up in Toronto, they continue to make big moves over the Major League Soccer offseason, as another big name could be on the way if you believe reports out of Brazil.
TFC’s President and CEO Tim Lieweke is really backing Nelsen this offseason, that’s for sure.
Cesar, 34, has been out of favor for QPR this season as they battle it out at the top of the Championship to get back into the Premier League at the first time of asking. Last season he dazzled in the PL, but has since lost his spot to Robert Green after QPR tried to ship Cesar out of the club over the past two transfer windows to get his huge wages off their payroll. It’s not that he is a bad player, far from it, but manager Harry Redknapp needs him out of the club to ease the already bulging wage bill.
However now an option that would suit everyone may have been found, as Cesar could join TFC on loan for the 2014 MLS season and play a few months before he jets off to his homeland to be the host nations starting GK. Cesar needs regular soccer, Toronto could do with a top class ‘keeper to compliment the huge signings of Michael Bradley and Jermain Defoe earlier this offseason, and QPR would love to get a good chunk of Cesar’s salary off the already hefty wage bill at Loftus Road.
Everyone’s a winner.
The long-time Inter Milan ‘keeper, who has 77 caps for Brazil and excelled in the Confederations Cup victory last summer, would be a real feather in the cap for Nelsen and no disrespect to Joe Bendik, Cesar would be a huge upgrade between the sticks. But can Toronto really pull off yet another stunning signing? If Cesar does join, he would be one of, if not the best, goalkeepers in MLS. No doubt.
Lets see how this one pans out, but Nelsen and Leiweke aren’t messing around up in Toronto, are they?
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0