Feb 7, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Following his hamstring injury against Tottenham Hotspur last week, Manchester City’s Argentine striker Sergio Aguero will miss the Citizens huge clash with FC Barcelona later this month.
Speaking in his press conference on Friday, City’s manager Manuel Pellegrini confirmed that their leading scorer will miss the pivotal first leg of the UEFA Champions League last 16 clash with Barcelona at the Etihad Stadium on February 18.
Aguero, 25, has been on fire this season and has scored 26 goals in 25 appearances and the Argentinian international has only recently returned from a calf problem that kept him out for seven games over the festive period.
“Fernandinho is working with the physio, but I think he will be out at least 15 more days. Aguero is running but will not be available for Barcelona. Samir Nasri is working well, I think next week he will be working with the squad as normal.”
So, can City beat Barcelona without Aguero?
A few weeks ago you would’ve said no problem, but with Edin Dzeko and Alvaro Negredo firing blanks against Chelsea last time out, you worry if City’s incredible goalscoring juggernaut will suddenly shudder to a halt at exactly the wrong time of the season. Negredo has been a beast all season, hence his nickname, but he’s also struggled with a few niggling injuries of late. And although Edin Dzeko is a top striker who can cause problem for most teams in the PL, can he really carve up Gerard Pique and co.?
Let’s wait and see, but losing Aguero is a massive blow for City. Barcelona have just been handed a massive boost ahead of the monster UCL clash.
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 8
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0