Feb 8, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
On Saturday Ukrainian club Shakthar Donetsk announced that striker Maicon Pereira de Oliveira had tragically died after being involved in a car crash.
The incident took place in the Ukrainian city of Donetsk, as the 25-year-old Brazilian passed away.
In a statement on the clubs website, Shakthar Donetsk mourned Maicon’s passing and had the following to say about the forward.
“He was a talented footballer, an open and friendly guy. Maicon loved life and knew how to make it positive and bright. Tragic, untimely and absurd death took away a wonderful person from our ranks.”
The club also sent their condolences and sympathies to Maicon’s family, as the promising striker has seen his life tragically cut short.
Maicon joined Ukrainian first league club Volyn Lutsk in 2009 and scored 37 goals in 65 appearances for them, helping them to promotion. He then joined Shakhtar in 2012, as he young striker went out on several loan spells to aid his development and was recently loaned out to Illichivets Mariupol where he scored three times in 10 appearances.
Although he only scored once for Shakhtar, the Brazilian striker was a key part of the club and the Ukrainian outfit have a long history of producing top South American players.
His death has saddened the football community in Ukraine, as the development of a talented young striker was tragically cut short.
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 8
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0