Feb 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
USMNT defender Timothy Chandler left Saturday’s Nurnberg – Bayern Munich match after just ten minutes. Reports suggest the 23 year old suffered a hamstring injury. Chandler was stretchered off and was seen on the sidelines with tears in his eyes, evidently in a lot of pain. He left Nurnberg’s Grundig-Stadion on crutches and went directly to the hospital.
Chandler, born in Germany but capped for the United States in 2011, has spent his entire career in Germany, joining up with current club Nurnberg in 2011. He’s been a regular this season, starting all but two matches for the side, and even scoring in Nurnberg’s surprise 4-0 victory over Hoffenheim a couple weeks back – their first win of the season. After playing nearly every minute this Bundesliga season, such an injury must come as an even greater blow for Chandler.
The defender has not featured recently for the United States, his last game coming a year ago against Honduras. He was not called up for last year’s Gold Cup or the most recent round of World Cup qualification. Still, you have to think Chandler had still hoped to make it to Brazil, and this injury might be a big blow for those dreams.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''