Feb 8, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Carli Lloyd and Christen Press had two goals apiece as the United States women made quick work of Russia in a 7-0 win Saturday at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla.
Abby Wambach also scored in the titled match, adding to her world goal record, now with 164.
Ordinarily a “touchdown” win would be reason to celebrate. But these are the matches that manager Tom Sermanni will use as preparation for stronger opposition ahead at the Algarve Cup in Portugal next month.
There, his team will face Japan, Sweden and Denmark in the first round of the annual tournament in the south of the country, and there aren’t any 7-0 score lines lurking in that lot.
So, maybe something can happen between now and Wednesday when the same teams meet again, this time in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man United looking for revenge vs. Swansea City 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Liverpool suffer stunning home defeats 0
- Tim Howard ready for USMNT return, as heroics rescue Everton 1
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 2
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 2
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 5