Feb 8, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Carli Lloyd and Christen Press had two goals apiece as the United States women made quick work of Russia in a 7-0 win Saturday at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla.
Abby Wambach also scored in the titled match, adding to her world goal record, now with 164.
Ordinarily a “touchdown” win would be reason to celebrate. But these are the matches that manager Tom Sermanni will use as preparation for stronger opposition ahead at the Algarve Cup in Portugal next month.
There, his team will face Japan, Sweden and Denmark in the first round of the annual tournament in the south of the country, and there aren’t any 7-0 score lines lurking in that lot.
So, maybe something can happen between now and Wednesday when the same teams meet again, this time in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 3
- UEFA Champions League group stage: PST staff’s preview and predictions 0
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0
- Watch live: Hull City vs. West Ham United (Lineups) 0