Feb 8, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Carli Lloyd and Christen Press had two goals apiece as the United States women made quick work of Russia in a 7-0 win Saturday at FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, Fla.
Abby Wambach also scored in the titled match, adding to her world goal record, now with 164.
Ordinarily a “touchdown” win would be reason to celebrate. But these are the matches that manager Tom Sermanni will use as preparation for stronger opposition ahead at the Algarve Cup in Portugal next month.
There, his team will face Japan, Sweden and Denmark in the first round of the annual tournament in the south of the country, and there aren’t any 7-0 score lines lurking in that lot.
So, maybe something can happen between now and Wednesday when the same teams meet again, this time in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1