Feb 8, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Chelsea host Newcastle at Stamford Bridge on Saturday (Watch live on USA, 10am ET, and online via NBC Sports Live Extra) as the Blues have the chance to go top of the table following Arsenal’s defeat to Liverpool.
Jose Mourinho keeps writing off Chelsea’ title chances, but they have a real chance of going top of the tree if they can beat a Newcastle team in turmoil.
The Magpies were hammered 3-0 at home by North East rivals Sunderland last weekend, had their reserve team coach resign after allegedly hitting a player and Director of Football Joe Kinnear also walked out. Not a great week for Alan Pardew‘s side.
But Newcastle have done well against Chelsea in the last few years, losing only one of their last four against the Blues from West London. Can they cause a massive upset at Stamford Bridge?
In team news Chelsea make one change from the team that beat Man City, as John Terry misses out with Frank Lampard replacing him and David Luiz slotting into the back four. Newcastle bring in Dummett and new signing Luuk de Jong to the starting lineup.
- Transfer needs – Manchester United, Newcastle, QPR, Southampton, Stoke 0
- Preview: Possible “Groups of Death” galore in UEFA Champions League draw 1
- Wayne Rooney named new England captain as youthful squad selected 1
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0