Feb 8, 2014, 6:59 AM EDT
On Saturday Liverpool host Arsenal (Watch live on USA, 7:45am ET and online via NBC Sports Live Extra) at Anfield in a mammoth clash in the top four of the Premier League.
The Gunners are top of the tree in the PL, but Liverpool have lost just once at home this season and are looking for a vital three points to propel them towards the top three.
This will be a belter.
Both teams love to stroke the ball around and with Liverpool’s deadly S.A.S. partnership of Suarez and Sturridge up against Arsenal’s mean defense, it will be a battle of wits, pace and will as to who comes out on top. In recent seasons Arsenal have fared well at Anfield with two wins in a row at the famous ground, but Liverpool are a different proposition this season.
However Liverpool have won just once in their last 13 PL games against Arsenal, but they need to step up big on Saturday if they can continue to fend off the pack of clubs behind them clambering for the final Champions League spot.
In team news Liverpool are unchanged from the team that drew 1-1 away at West Bromwich Albion last time out, while Arsenal make one change as former Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta comes in for Lukas Podolski.
Liverpool: Mignolet, Flanagan, Cissokho, Toure, Skrtel, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge. Subs: Jones, Kelly, Ibe, Moses, Aspas, Allen, Alberto
Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Wilshere, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Ozil, Giroud. Subs: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Rosicky, Gnabry, Podolski, Bendtner
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 0
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 4
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 5
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4