Feb 8, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
After losing 7-0 in the reverse fixture, what can Norwich City do to restrain Manchester City today when they visit Carrow Road? (watch live online on NBC Sports Live Extra at 10 a.m. ET).
In the past two months, the Canaries have tightened up at the back, not conceding more than two goals since losing 5-1 at Liverpool. The trouble is, Norwich still can’t score, having put in just 19 goals in 24 matches. The lack of goals translates into a lack of points, leaving the side just two points above the relegation zone.
The same can’t be said about Manchester City. Sure, injuries and some questionable tactics from Manuel Pellegrini saw City lose 1-0 to Chelsea last weekend, but that was the first time they hadn’t scored since November 10. They have 68 goals in the league alone and, in case you forgot, that 7-0 thrashing of Norwich earlier in the season.
The visitors will be without Sergio Agüero, their leading goalscorer, but have available Edin Džeko, Álvaro Negredo, David Silva, and Yaya Touré, who all scored in the reverse fixture. The last three start, but Džeko drops to the bench in favor of Stevan Jovetić, who gets his second league start for City after impressing against Chelsea in Monday’s loss.
Norwich make four changes to the side that surrendered a lead to Cardiff last weekend, ultimately losing 2-1. Robert Snodgrass, the goalscorer, is out with injury, as are Ryan Bennett, Jonás Gutiérrez, and Johan Elmander. Leory Fer, Anthony Pilkington and Nathan Redmond return to the starting lineup, while Joseph Yobo makes his first appearance with the Canaries.
Norwich City: Ruddy; Martin, Yobo, Bassong, Olsson; Redmond, Tettey, Johnson, Pilkington; Fer; Hooper
Subs: Bunn, Whittaker, van Wolfswinkel, Hoolahan, Garrido, Becchio, Josh Murphy
Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichelis, Clichy, Navas, Milner, Toure, Silva, Jovetic, Negredo
Subs: Pantilimon, Richards, Rodwell, Lopes, Kolarov, Dzeko, Lescott
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 3