Feb 10, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
NFL prospect Michael Sam isn’t the only player making a bold, public pronouncement today;
Casey Stoney, a standout for Arsenal ladies who has 116 caps for England and was captain of Great Britain’s team two years ago in the London Olympics, has also come out as gay today.
I feel it’s really important for me to speak out as a gay player because there are so many people struggling who are gay, and you hear about people taking their own lives because they are homosexual. That should never happen. How can I expect other people to speak about themselves if I’m not willing to do that myself?”
We should never lose sight of Robbie Rogers’ role in all this as more professional athletes make their sexuality known. It was just about one year ago now that Rogers became the first American athlete in a professional sport to reveal publicly that he was gay.
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1