Feb 10, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
NFL prospect Michael Sam isn’t the only player making a bold, public pronouncement today;
Casey Stoney, a standout for Arsenal ladies who has 116 caps for England and was captain of Great Britain’s team two years ago in the London Olympics, has also come out as gay today.
I feel it’s really important for me to speak out as a gay player because there are so many people struggling who are gay, and you hear about people taking their own lives because they are homosexual. That should never happen. How can I expect other people to speak about themselves if I’m not willing to do that myself?”
We should never lose sight of Robbie Rogers’ role in all this as more professional athletes make their sexuality known. It was just about one year ago now that Rogers became the first American athlete in a professional sport to reveal publicly that he was gay.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- MLS Snapshot: Portland Timbers 3-0 Vancouver Whitecaps 0
- Watch Live: New York Red Bulls vs. Seattle Sounders (Lineups) 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 1
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0