Feb 10, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Once upon a time, a stadium’s name was part of a club’s identity. A big part, in fact.
That day came and went as clubs learned how to monetize all the sundry sponsorship opportunities and we were saddled, like it or not, with The Emirates Stadium, Red Bull Arena, Allianz Arena and such. (Obviously, this is not just a pox on soccer … it’s across the board on big-time sports.)
Even then, the stadium name was more or less attached to the club, at least partially synonymous with the organization.
Now, well, these things tend to be more fluid than any of us would like, going darn near willy-nilly to the highest bidder. The new stadium name comes. It goes. We all have a thought about whether we like the fresh handle … and then check out to watch the latest video of piano playing cats.
So, this isn’t the kind of biggie big news that it once would have been, but it still checks the box on marginally significant: the Portland Timbers will now play at freshly renamed Providence Park. The Major League Soccer club announced its new deal Monday afternoon.
Providence Park … it does have a slightly more regal ring to it, no?
Five MLS clubs have changed stadium naming rights or adopted a name sponsor over the last two years.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England