Feb 11, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
As Manchester United, Arsenal and a host of other big European clubs eye up the young stars of Ajax, their director of football has gone borderline morbid in his descriptions of what he’d do to keep them.
Midfield Davy Klaassen, 20, is one of the hottest commodities in Europe and 22-year-old defender Joel Veltman is not that far behind, but Marc Overmars tells suitors they can bring trucks full of gold bars to Holland… they’ll just be driving over his body.
“I’m going to the gate and lie in front of it when they come for Joel Veltman or Davy Klaassen.”
Klaassen broke through to the first team this season and has responded with eight goals in 12 Eredivisie matches, while Veltman has been a key defensive cog for a side that hasn’t allowed more than a single goal in a contest dating back to an Oct. 22 loss at Celtic.
“We are constantly working on a puzzle and every time you have it almost complete, it can fall apart, because a piece is snapped up.”
“I love Ajax being attractive for a transfer, but these guys do not get out of here.”
And Overmars want to redo the contracts for the pair, both which currently run past 2016.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 2
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing