Feb 11, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
As Manchester United, Arsenal and a host of other big European clubs eye up the young stars of Ajax, their director of football has gone borderline morbid in his descriptions of what he’d do to keep them.
Midfield Davy Klaassen, 20, is one of the hottest commodities in Europe and 22-year-old defender Joel Veltman is not that far behind, but Marc Overmars tells suitors they can bring trucks full of gold bars to Holland… they’ll just be driving over his body.
“I’m going to the gate and lie in front of it when they come for Joel Veltman or Davy Klaassen.”
Klaassen broke through to the first team this season and has responded with eight goals in 12 Eredivisie matches, while Veltman has been a key defensive cog for a side that hasn’t allowed more than a single goal in a contest dating back to an Oct. 22 loss at Celtic.
“We are constantly working on a puzzle and every time you have it almost complete, it can fall apart, because a piece is snapped up.”
“I love Ajax being attractive for a transfer, but these guys do not get out of here.”
And Overmars want to redo the contracts for the pair, both which currently run past 2016.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro