Feb 11, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Though nobody in Toronto seems willing to confirm it, Brazil number one Júlio César appears destined to land with the stockpiling Reds, the final details of his loan from Queens Park Rangers in the process of being worked out.
That’s not rumor. That’s not based on unnamed sources. While speaking to the media about his plans for the March 5 international break, Brazil head coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said César will be in his camp, with a move to Toronto that’s destined to happen giving his number one a better shot at playing time ahead of June’s World Cup.
“Julio is in [the national team], he should be officially introduced to his new club,” Scolari told reporters. “Toronto should be finalizing the last few details … There will be no problem with him.”
The question is what Toronto will be getting. In theory, this is potentially one of the best goalkeepers in MLS, somebody whose regression from his best days with Inter Milan will still put him near the top of Major League Soccer’s talents at his position.
Unfortunately, César has played only one game at club level since April, so there very little evidence to suppose that supposition. Though he’s appeared regularly for Brazil during that time (12 caps), a single appearance last month against Everton means rust may be an issue. At least, if allowing four goals to the Toffees is any indication, César may need some time to return to form.
Whatever match shape César might be in, Toronto’s sure to get a motivated player, something that can be half the battle with some imported talents. Whereas some players come to Major League Soccer expecting an easy times, César can’t afford to make that assumption. If he fails to perform with Toronto this spring, Scolari may have to reevaluate his loyalty to the 34-year-old stopper.
It’s a worry the Brazil boss sounded when talking about MLS’s quality, with Scolari well aware of the number of players who have ben caught off guard by the league’s unique challenges.
“Lots of players arrive in the United States thinking it will be easy and then end up not playing,” Scolari explained, apparently forgetting Toronto is not in the U.S. “They stay for four or five months and then leave. We wish he were playing and now he will be. The MLS is not the end of [a] career.”
For César, a shift to MLS represents the opposite a career-ending move. If there’s any chance he might lose his one-shirt before this summer’s World Cup, this could prolong his international career. Scolari’s been loyal thus far, but he also seems intent on making sure César sees action before June.
The Seleçao No. 1 needs Major League Soccer more than the league needs him, Tim Leiweke’s crucial credibility play at BMO Field making Toronto one of the few places willing to take on the expensive goalkeeper. Having already brought in Michael Bradley and Jermain Defoe, TFC won’t sink or swim with César. César, however, needs the playing time Toronto has to offer.
How that works out against the official MLS books remains to be seen, but according to Scolari, a team that already has four Designated Players is about to another multi-million dollar talent.
- Everton set to complete $50 million deal for Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku 2
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 1
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11