Feb 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
Stadiums in America get plenty of grief for being city-, county- or state-funded. After all, fans may be taxpayers but not all taxpayers are fans.
So it was refreshing to hear David Beckham say that the stadium for his yet-to-be-named MLS side would be privately-funded. And now some names are starting to leak out as to whose involved.
It seems the Middle Eastern elite owners duking it out to see who can spend more, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain, could be taking a bit of that rivalry to American soil.
Man City’s The City Football Group, lead by Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed, owns New York City FC. Now, PSG owners Qatar Sports Investments (QSI… so many acronyms!) could become big Beckham backers in South Florida (translated report here, linked by MLS).
QSI responded to the claims that they’ve been approached by Beckham with the following translated — and pretty intense — statement:
“Actually, David Beckham has approached us,” confirms QSI. “Today, no decision was taken.”
But according to the daily Parisien, “The Emirate should not be insensitive to the idea to join the global icon for the conquest of the New World.”
Ambitious. Again, it’s a translation but it’s always odd to see the United States called the “New World” (or Nouveau Monde, to be fair) and the phrase conquest is on the upper part of the intensity scale. Yet it would make business sense for anyone trying to spread their name around sports and the world to latch onto the Beckham brand, especially if it’s potentially going to pick up the LeBron brand as well.
- Report: Chelsea join Manchester United in chase for Nathaniel Clyne 1
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 1
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 8
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1