Feb 11, 2014, 2:10 PM EST
On Tuesday there’s a huge relegation clash in the Welsh capital, as Cardiff City host Aston Villa (Watch live online, 2:45pm ET, via NBC Sports Live Extra) in a real six-pointer at the Cardiff City Stadium.
The Bluebirds have been in free-fall for quite some time, and coming off the back of a sickening 3-0 defeat to Swansea in the South Wales derby last Saturday, home fans will be expecting a response as Ole Gunnar Solksjaer aims to drag his team out of the relegation zone.
However Aston Villa won’t be the ideal opponents to face, not because Villa are having a terrific season, but because they have been pretty darn good away from home. Villa have won four of their 12 away games thus far, as opposed to just three victories at Villa Park all season. Form like that sees the Midlands club sit just four points above the drop zone before kick off, as Cardiff have the chance to pull yet another team into the mire. Four of Cardiff’s five PL victories this season have come at home but they’ve scored just 12 goals in front of their own fans, something has to change if Cardiff will stay up.
In team news Cardiff start with, while Craig Bellamy is replaced by Frazer Campbell after his ban, while Mutch, Theophile-Catherine and Noone all come into the lineup. As for Villa, they bring in captain Vlaar, winger Albrighton and Bennett to their starting lineup.
Cardiff City: Marshall; Theophile-Catherine, Caulker, Turner, John; Zaha, Mutch, Medel, Noone; Campbell, Jones. Subs: Lewis; Eikrem, Cowie, Cala, Daehli, Berget, Fabio
Aston Villa: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Bennett, Bertrand, Westwood, Albrighton, Delph, Benteke, Agbonlahor. Subs: Steer, El Ahmadi, Sylla, Helenius, Holt, Clark, Weimann
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 4
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Old Trafford 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1