Feb 11, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
For the first time this season, Eden Hazard and Chelsea will enter a match leading the Premier League when they visit West Bromwich Albion, with the Baggies hoping to claw out of the relegation zone with an upset at The Hawthorns (kickoff 3:00 p.m. ET, with a live stream available via NBC Sports Live Extra).
To do that, Pepe Mel’s side will have to hand Chelsea their first league defeat since Dec. 7′s visit to Stoke City. Since, Jose Mourinho’s Blues have taken 26 of a possible 30 points, a streak that vaulted them over Arsenal and Manchester City after Saturday’s 3-0 win over Newcastle.
As in most Chelsea games, the star of the match was Eden Hazard. The 23-year-old Belgian scored three times, bringing his season total to 12 – good for fourth in the Premier League. Combined with Oscar and Willian, Hazard leads the best attacking midfield in England.
Having given up nine goals in four games under Mel, the Baggies don’t seem capable of slowing them down, their winless run under the newly hired Mel seeing West Brom slide into the drop for the first time since September. With six goals since the former Betis boss was hired, Albion has proven capable going forward, but after giving up three to a previously goal-starved Crystal Palace, the Baggies continue their search for solutions at the back.
West Bromwich Albion: Foster; Reid, McAuley, Dawson, Ridgewell; Amalfitano, Yacob, Morrison, Brunt; Bifouma, Berahino
Subs: Myhill, Lugano, Dorrans, Vydra, Anichebe, Gera, Mulumbu
Chelsea: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Azpilicueta; Ramires, Matic; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; Eto’o
Subs: Schwarzer, Cole, Lampard, Mikel, Schurrle, Salah, Torres
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes