Feb 13, 2014, 8:46 PM EST
It’s a question that at first blush feels wild, almost absurd: could Toronto FC forward Bright Dike make his way onto the Nigeria roster for this summer’s World Cup in Brazil?
Could a player whose played for three American clubs in four years — and didn’t make his Nigerian senior team bow until he was 25 — be in Stephen Keshi’s plans for the Super Eagles time on the world’s biggest stage?
He’s cleared another hurdle, making the roster for Nigeria’s March 5 friendly on American soil against Mexico. Dike, he of the seven strikes in 30 MLS appereances, is one of eight listed forwards on the roster but one of only a select few true strikers.
Of those forwards, several have a more pronounced pedigree than Dike. Newcastle United veteran Shola Ameobi has broken back into the Keshi’s squad, while Obinna Nsofor (Chievo Verona) and Emmanuel Emenike (Fenerbahce) have shown well. Michael Uchebo and Imoh Ezekiel have yet to play for the senior team.
Some usual suspects are outside the squad: Obafemi Martins and his 18 international goals won’t be there, nor will Dynamo Kyiv’s Brown Ideye.
So it seems this is a legit opportunity for Dike to impress and not just a cursory look. Dike scored against Italy in November and has one goal in two official caps. He also scored in an unofficial match against Catalonia.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 2
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing