Feb 13, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
You have to consider the audience, but Landon Donovan said some things in Mexico City that are going to have some US Soccer higher-ups scratching their heads.
Not in a “Whaaaat?” way, rather a “Politeness aside, you didn’t have to say that, did you now?” way.
After telling MedioTiempo.com that he thinks the Mexican national team’s brutal 2013 will not affect their chances to “do something special” in Brazil this summer, Donovan lavished praise on the Mexican youth… somewhat at the expense of his home country.
“In my opinion, the youth in Mexico is better than ours,” he said. “We’re looking for ways to improve it, but for me Mexico is one of the best in the world at that kind of progression, with youth, and with the national team it’s almost the same forever, and I think it will continue to be for a long time.”
He also admitted what’s been rumored a bunch; Donovan had opportunities to play professionally in Mexico. That ship has sailed, and he says he plans on finishing his playing days as a member of the Galaxy.
“In past years, I have had some other opportunities that did not work out at that time,” said Donovan. “Now I think I’ll stay in Los Angeles for the rest of my career. I want to be in Los Angeles – you never know what can happen, but I am very happy at home.”
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England