Feb 13, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Marcos Senna has penned a contract extension with New York Cosmos through July 2015, the club announced Thursday.
“I’ve had an incredible experience in New York so far,” Senna said. “Right now, my body feels great and I want to keep playing for as long as possible. This has been a fantastic move for my family and me and we’re looking forward to another great year.”
In his first season with the Cosmos, Senna helped the club with the NASL championship, led the team in scoring (six), started the Soccer Bowl championship, was named team MVP and earned 2013 NASL Best XI honors.
“Marcos was a tremendous presence for us last year,” head coach Giovanni Savarese said. “His leadership helped the team come together and physically his skills are still at a very high level. We’re delighted to have Marcos with us through the 2015 spring season and following that, both sides will sit down and discuss the feasibility of a further extension.”
The 37-year old arrived in New York last year after 11 seasons at La Liga side Villareal. The Brazilian-born Senna represented Spain on the international level, earning 28 caps and earning UEFA Team of the Tournament honors during La Furia Roja’s Euro 2008 glory.
The Cosmos kick-off their season at home against the Atlanta Silverbacks on April 13th.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England