Feb 13, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Sometimes you read a series of quotes from Jose Mourinho and you wonder if you’re reading a bit of satire on the Onion or a similar site. The man’s brain must resemble an episode of “Tim and Eric Awesome Show”… or at least an evening with Ray Hudson.
Tonight’s journey into the mind of the footballing genius features Mourinho’s response to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers‘ assertion that if Chelsea are the “little horses” of the Premier League title race, then the Reds are the “chihuahua that runs in between the horses’ legs.”
Enter Mourinho, a car show, The Daily Mail and hilarity.
The Special One opened his talk by saying Liverpool’s an extra dangerous side since they won’t be competing in a late-season schedule clogged by Champions League football. And it wasn’t in a smarmy, ‘Too bad you weren’t good last year’ way.
“If Brendan has a chihuahua it is one that trains a lot and rests a lot. The other dogs, they don’t train a lot because they play a lot and they don’t rest because they play every three days.
“And when the Barclays Premier League goes to the crucial point, we all will have to play Champions League at the same time.
“To play, for example, like we are going to do in Istanbul against Galatasaray on the Wednesday, Fulham on the Saturday.
“Brendan’s chihuahua doesn’t do that. During the week it sleeps, eats and trains a little bit. So I have to say his chihuahua is a privileged one. Next season he will see what it is like to play in two, three, four competitions. This season he has this privilege which gives him a big advantage.”
Bring me a gaggle of hipsters, let’s start a band called Little Horses and put out a record called “Brendan’s chihuahua doesn’t do that.”
Elsewhere in the conversation, Mourinho says the club is not “favorites, but candidates,” says he’d like Liverpool to win if Chelsea does not and lauds Arsenal for their cohesiveness.
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0
- Wolfsburg say Kevin de Bruyne not heading to Manchester City “at this point” 9
- 2015-16 Premier League Power Rankings, Vol. I: Taking very early stock with Man City on top 8