Feb 13, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
It’s been two weeks since the January transfer window slammed shut but that hasn’t stopped Manchester City from doing the business.
Sky Sports is reporting that Victor Blanco, president of Argentine side Racing Club, has said 20-year old center midfielder Bruno Zuculini has agreed to a deal with Manchester City.
Per Blanco, Zuculini will be heading to the Etihad in June.
“Every season Racing puts together a side to battle for the title, and then nothing happens,” Blanco told Argentine newspaper El Dia.
“So we wanted to keep the side and reinforce it, but we have several highly coveted gems from the outside, such as Luciano Vietto, Rodrigo De Paul and Bruno Zuculini – who has already signed an agreement to leave in June to join Manchester City.”
The move represents yet another example of City’s strategy of signing the best young talent from around the globe.
The Escobar, Argentina born Zuculini is widely regarded as one of the finest young prospects in South America. Having made his debut for Racing Club at the tender age of 16, he went on to make 19 appearances during his first two seasons before establishing himself as a regular for La Academia.
Zuculini is typically deployed as a holding midfielder but he likes to get forward and score goals. While he will not be expected to displace Yaya Toure or Fernandinho from City’s starting XI, don’t be surprised if he is the first player rotated in ahead of players like Javi Garcia and Jack Rodwell.
As an added bonus, Zuculini holds an Italian passport meaning he doesn’t require a work permit to play at City. While the exact transfer fee has yet to be released, it’s believed City may have scooped the starlet for as little as $3.3-5 million (£2-3m).
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3