Feb 13, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
The U.S. Men’s National Team’s moved up one place to No. 13 in the latest FIFA rankings, seeing them leapfrog Chile and England in the process.
The Americans jump came after a comprehensive 2-0 victory over South Korea on February 1st. Their points calculation was also boosted by the clearance of last February’s loss to Honduras.
Spain, Germany and Argentina remained 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the rankings while Portugal leapfrogged Columbia to claim the 4th spot.
Switzerland moved up two spots to No. 6, Uruguay (7th) and Italy (8th) each dropped a place, and Brazil moved up to 9th while the Netherlands dropped one slot to 10th.
In CONCACAF, Mexico remained 21st, Panama moved up four spots to No. 32, Costa Rica dropped three to 35th and Honduras leapt three places to 40th.
The most shocking drop-off in the rankings comes from the Americans’ first round opponent in Brazil 2014, Ghana, who tumbled 13 places to No. 37. In the five matches the Black Stars have played since the new year they’ve drawn 0-0 with Libya, drawn 0-0 with Nigeria, defeated the Democratic Republic of Congo 1-0, defeated Ethiopia 1-0 and drawn with Libya 1-1.
Below is a complete listing of the Top 25 countries in the current FIFA rankings:
17. Bosnia and Herzegovina
23. Côte d’Ivoire
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 2
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers