Feb 14, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT
Forget what we said about an hour ago concerning Julian Green’s training with the United States meaning nothing.
With US Soccer having confirmed the 18-year-old wonder kid is training with the USMNT ahead of their upcoming friendly with Ukraine, initially it was thought this would just be a small step towards securing the budding star’s services.
Well now, it may mean a lot more than we initially thought. According to German media outlet Bild, Green has made his decision – he’s chosen to play for the United States.
In a massive coup for the USMNT, the Bayern Munich youngster seems to be aiming at an outside shot to make the squad for the World Cup this summer, something that coach Jurgen Klinsmann has apparently told him isn’t out of the question.
Ok, so we all know Bild’s tendencies to embellish and create some crazy stories, so let’s not get too excited until it’s confirmed by one of the parties involved. But to make things jucier, the article has quotes directly from Green.
According to the article, Green told Bild that the opportunity is a “great chance and a real honor” and that “it doesn’t get any better” than to be able to play for his country of birth.
Bild says that Klinsmann sent his assistant Andreas Herzog to not only watch the youngster play but to speak with him as well.
Having rejected a call-up to the USMNT squad back in November due to logistical eligibility issues, the next step for the Tampa native would be to file a one-time switch request with FIFA. That would make his move to the United States complete.
He must do so partly because he has appeared at the U-19 level for Germany’s national side. It was originally thought that because of this, Germany had the upper hand in his final decision.
Green made his Bayern Munich senior debut back in November, coming on as a late substitute in their Champions League match against CSKA Moscow.
Just earlier tonight, US Soccer confirmed (along with Green’s father) that he will take part in 2 days of training with the USMNT ahead of their March 5 friendly with Ukraine. The training will take place in Frankfurt, and he will not be participating in the match.
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 0
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 6
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 4
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 20
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 8