Feb 14, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Less than a month until the start of the 2014 Major League Soccer season, FC Dallas’s new head coach Oscar Pareja has been busy in the transfer market.
And now they have another new face at Toyota Stadium.
Colombian striker Andres Escobar has joined on loan from Ukrainian powerhouse Dynamo Kiev, as the 22-year-old attacker teams up with fellow Colombian Fabian Castillo. Escobar is Dallas’ second new signing this week, as Honduran midfielder Hendry Thomas signed on Wednesday from Colorado.
Escobar has played in Europe since the age of 20, as the pacey winger left Deportivo Cali for Kiev but then returned to Cali on loan in the 2013-13 season, before also spending a stint on loan at French Ligue 1 side Evian in 2013.
FC Dallas’ Technical Director Fernando Clavijo had nothing but good things to say about Escobar, and believes the young Colombian will go straight into Dallas’ starting lineup.
“Escobar is a great young player. He has played in Europe for the last few years and I expect him and Fabian Castillo to form one of the best flank combinations in the league. Both players are very similar in their speed and ability to beat players one-on-one. I expect Escobar will fill the void created by the loss of Jackson on the right flank.”
With Castillo on one wing and Escobar on the other, it looks as though Dallas will be an extremely attack-minded outfit this season, as Pareja plans to implement similar tactics which saw him get rave reviews on a tight budget last season in charge of the Colorado Rapids.
Pareja, a former Dallas player and assistant coach, is returning home to manage FCD and his squad is certainly starting to take shape with these welcome additions.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England