Feb 14, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Less than a month until the start of the 2014 Major League Soccer season, FC Dallas’s new head coach Oscar Pareja has been busy in the transfer market.
And now they have another new face at Toyota Stadium.
Colombian striker Andres Escobar has joined on loan from Ukrainian powerhouse Dynamo Kiev, as the 22-year-old attacker teams up with fellow Colombian Fabian Castillo. Escobar is Dallas’ second new signing this week, as Honduran midfielder Hendry Thomas signed on Wednesday from Colorado.
Escobar has played in Europe since the age of 20, as the pacey winger left Deportivo Cali for Kiev but then returned to Cali on loan in the 2013-13 season, before also spending a stint on loan at French Ligue 1 side Evian in 2013.
FC Dallas’ Technical Director Fernando Clavijo had nothing but good things to say about Escobar, and believes the young Colombian will go straight into Dallas’ starting lineup.
“Escobar is a great young player. He has played in Europe for the last few years and I expect him and Fabian Castillo to form one of the best flank combinations in the league. Both players are very similar in their speed and ability to beat players one-on-one. I expect Escobar will fill the void created by the loss of Jackson on the right flank.”
With Castillo on one wing and Escobar on the other, it looks as though Dallas will be an extremely attack-minded outfit this season, as Pareja plans to implement similar tactics which saw him get rave reviews on a tight budget last season in charge of the Colorado Rapids.
Pareja, a former Dallas player and assistant coach, is returning home to manage FCD and his squad is certainly starting to take shape with these welcome additions.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 1
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3