Feb 15, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
According to the man himself, Nacer Chadli had the opportunity to join Swansea City on Deadline Day, but turned down the opportunity.
The 24-year-old Belgian, who joined Spurs in the summer from FC Twente, has made just eight Premier League starts for Tottenham this season.
However, he ultimately chose to turn down the Welsh club in favor of an attempt to impress new manager Tim Sherwood at White Hart Lane.
‘It was a possibility, but it is in the past,” Chadli told British media. “I had to make a decision and my decision was to stay. Everything was not clear so I wanted to stay at Tottenham and play for my club.”
Chadli added that he was “happy” at Spurs and that he felt the need to honor his contract, which doesn’t expire until the summer of 2018.
This news isn’t completely out of left field, as the Daily Mail had a piece on the potential switch on Deadline Day.
What no doubt tempted Chadli was the chance to improve his stock for the World Cup. The winger has 18 international appearances for Belgium, but would currently be considered a fringe player for Marc Wilmots’ current group.
With Eden Hazard, Kevin Mirallas, Kevin de Bruyne, and Dries Mertens all likely ahead of Chadli in the pecking order out on the wing, it would do him a world of good to find more playing time as soon as possible.
However, he’s played at an average of just 31 minutes per Tottenham match, a number which he would hope will greatly improve under Sherwood. Unfortunately, since Sherwood’s appointment, Chadli has made just six appearances (2 starts) and has not played a full 90.
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0