Feb 16, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
However, according to Sky Sports (who have had a bit of a rough last 24 hours “reporting” news) the club has denied these reports.
According to a Manchester United spokesman, “There is no deal, which is why we haven’t announced it.”
The reports, whether technically accurate or not at the current moment, would suggest that such a deal is very close to completion.
The first to break the potential extension, The Sun, state the new deal is four years in length and would pay out a total of £70 million ($117 million) over the distance of the contract.
That would give him over a £300,000-per-week salary, a record for the Premier League.
In 430 total matches with Manchester United over all competitions, Rooney has 208 goals to go along with 122 assists.
This kind of a deal is nothing out of the blue. Reports back at the end of January suggested a new deal was close, possibly putting an end to the see-saw of speculation surrounding this situation the last year or so.
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 1
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5