Feb 16, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
However, according to Sky Sports (who have had a bit of a rough last 24 hours “reporting” news) the club has denied these reports.
According to a Manchester United spokesman, “There is no deal, which is why we haven’t announced it.”
The reports, whether technically accurate or not at the current moment, would suggest that such a deal is very close to completion.
The first to break the potential extension, The Sun, state the new deal is four years in length and would pay out a total of £70 million ($117 million) over the distance of the contract.
That would give him over a £300,000-per-week salary, a record for the Premier League.
In 430 total matches with Manchester United over all competitions, Rooney has 208 goals to go along with 122 assists.
This kind of a deal is nothing out of the blue. Reports back at the end of January suggested a new deal was close, possibly putting an end to the see-saw of speculation surrounding this situation the last year or so.
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0