Feb 16, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
However, according to Sky Sports (who have had a bit of a rough last 24 hours “reporting” news) the club has denied these reports.
According to a Manchester United spokesman, “There is no deal, which is why we haven’t announced it.”
The reports, whether technically accurate or not at the current moment, would suggest that such a deal is very close to completion.
The first to break the potential extension, The Sun, state the new deal is four years in length and would pay out a total of £70 million ($117 million) over the distance of the contract.
That would give him over a £300,000-per-week salary, a record for the Premier League.
In 430 total matches with Manchester United over all competitions, Rooney has 208 goals to go along with 122 assists.
This kind of a deal is nothing out of the blue. Reports back at the end of January suggested a new deal was close, possibly putting an end to the see-saw of speculation surrounding this situation the last year or so.
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 0
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 3
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0
- Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City: Last-gasp win for Bayern in Bavaria 2
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0