Feb 16, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
However, according to Sky Sports (who have had a bit of a rough last 24 hours “reporting” news) the club has denied these reports.
According to a Manchester United spokesman, “There is no deal, which is why we haven’t announced it.”
The reports, whether technically accurate or not at the current moment, would suggest that such a deal is very close to completion.
The first to break the potential extension, The Sun, state the new deal is four years in length and would pay out a total of £70 million ($117 million) over the distance of the contract.
That would give him over a £300,000-per-week salary, a record for the Premier League.
In 430 total matches with Manchester United over all competitions, Rooney has 208 goals to go along with 122 assists.
This kind of a deal is nothing out of the blue. Reports back at the end of January suggested a new deal was close, possibly putting an end to the see-saw of speculation surrounding this situation the last year or so.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes