Feb 16, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
A die-hard Liverpool fan and bronze medal winner at this year’s winter Olympics has a Red story to tell about how he earned his second medal – a gold.
After winning bronze in the men’s alpine downhill, Norwegian skiier Kjetil Jansrud received a shockingly surprising text message from one of his soccer heroes Steven Gerrard.
Gerrard texted Jansrud, and sent him an autographed shirt from Liverpool’s last-gasp 3-2 win over Fulham.
The text message read, “Hi Mate Ginge [Riise] told me you won a bronze medal at the Olympics with my number after a knee op last year he also told me ur a Liverpool fan? Many congrats on ur achievements a lot of respect from me. Told Ginge u can have my shirt signed after wed game against him mate good luck ur friend SG.”
Aside from the obvious need for Gerrard to learn punctuation, his extremely friendly message may have had an effect on its recipient.
After receiving the gift, Jansrud gave a gold-medal performance in the Super-G event.
Click here to see the winning run from Jansrud’s Super-G appearance.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear