Feb 18, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
Who can doubt the importance of the United States’ friendly coming up against Ukraine in two weeks?
The March 5 friendly in Kharkiv represents the last chance for U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann to get his best team together prior to the May training camp, when the final push for World Cup 2014 begins. (You didn’t really think a bunch of Yanks abroad would come over for the April match against Mexico, did you? It’s on a non-FIFA date, which means clubs are under no obligation to release players.)
Plus, Klinsmann tells us the roster for that March match will closely resemble his final 23 selections for Brazil – so that means every journalist and U.S. superfan out here cannot wait to jump to outrageously premature conclusions based on that roster for one friendly – never mind that there are still numerous moving parts in play. Hey, it’s what we do. It’s a World Cup!
But, obviously, security is always tantamount.
So it’s worth a heads-up here that the U.S.-Ukraine match may be in jeopardy. Some good reporting from Washington Post veteran Steven Goff says federation officials are in touch with the U.S. State Department, monitoring the dicey security situation seems to be getting worse instead of better.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla