Feb 18, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
As anyone who follows MLS expansion knows, the competition for the next league landing spot is as intense as it’s ever been.
With 22 teams now set to pass and trap by 2017, all signs point to two slots remaining open before a major freeze takes hold in terms of league growth. (New York will be No. 20, starting in 2015. Orlando will be No. 21 and Miami was recently announced as No. 22.)
So, Atlanta, San Antonio, Sacramento, St. Louis and others are lining up for their shot at this MLS thing. Atlanta, backed by the money and sports business muscle of NFL owner Arthur Blank, seems to have the inside track on 23.
The math says that leaves one itty-bitty chair still out there; and the music seems to be stopping.
So stories like this one now have a little extra weight, as St. Louis moves its effort forward by applying for United Soccer Leagues admission for 2015. The ultimate goal, they say, is an MLS side.
St. Louis has long looked and felt like a boffo MLS market waiting to happen. But “boffo market” doesn’t get you an MLS franchise. It takes big bucks. And a stadium plan.
St. Louis has been here before (AC St. Louis), but the financial heft just wasn’t there. This group has a long way to get there, too.
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire