Feb 18, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
As anyone who follows MLS expansion knows, the competition for the next league landing spot is as intense as it’s ever been.
With 22 teams now set to pass and trap by 2017, all signs point to two slots remaining open before a major freeze takes hold in terms of league growth. (New York will be No. 20, starting in 2015. Orlando will be No. 21 and Miami was recently announced as No. 22.)
So, Atlanta, San Antonio, Sacramento, St. Louis and others are lining up for their shot at this MLS thing. Atlanta, backed by the money and sports business muscle of NFL owner Arthur Blank, seems to have the inside track on 23.
The math says that leaves one itty-bitty chair still out there; and the music seems to be stopping.
So stories like this one now have a little extra weight, as St. Louis moves its effort forward by applying for United Soccer Leagues admission for 2015. The ultimate goal, they say, is an MLS side.
St. Louis has long looked and felt like a boffo MLS market waiting to happen. But “boffo market” doesn’t get you an MLS franchise. It takes big bucks. And a stadium plan.
St. Louis has been here before (AC St. Louis), but the financial heft just wasn’t there. This group has a long way to get there, too.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear