Feb 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Every time I start to scratch out a Top Five list of players I would love to see in MLS, I get immediate tired-head and check out. Fact is, there are just too many good ones out there that, for one reason or another, would be great for fans and terrific for the content providers like myself.
But I do know this: Didier Drogba would be on the list. Probably right at the top.
As I said on Twitter today about the looming possibility of the Ivorian hit man joining MLS: “If he does, I will go buy up a bunch of tickets. And I get into the matches free!”
The Ivorian has been a top MLS rumor target for more than two years, since we all knew his days at Stamford Bridge were done. But he opted to take the cash-dash into China and then quickly rerouted his (apparently ill chosen) course to Turkey’s Galatasaray.
Reports out of Turkey now say Drogba, his relationship in a bad place with the regional heavyweight, is set to leave at season’s end.
And if you are one to believe “reports,” the powerful striker may have already been offered a deal to join Seattle.
Clearly, that would mean the end of Obafemi Martins era at Seattle. Or, MLS could unveil the latest “Retention Fund” maneuver, meaning they will make up another rule on the fly that backs into whatever suits the loudest voices in the room, and, “Voila!”
Either way, it would set off another round of “Have vs. Have Nots” talk around MLS as the Sounders continue to rotate DPs through CenturyLink Field.
Who says this is a league of parity?
- Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein withdraws from second vote; Cocky Blatter speaks in power, references “offshore” future 5
- Sepp Blatter wins first vote 133-73, but not by enough to avoid second vote 1
- FA Cup final preview: Aston Villa underdogs in Arsenal’s pursuit of back-to-back cups 0
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Player of the Season 3
- Al-Hussein, Blatter address voters ahead of presidential election; First vote coming 5
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 3