“Didier Drogba to MLS” chatter gains momentum

Feb 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba

Every time I start to scratch out a Top Five list of players I would love to see in MLS, I get immediate tired-head and check out. Fact is, there are just too many good ones out there that, for one reason or another, would be great for fans and terrific for the content providers like myself.

But I do know this: Didier Drogba would be on the list. Probably right at the top.

As I said on Twitter today about the looming possibility of the Ivorian hit man joining MLS: “If he does, I will go buy up a bunch of tickets. And I get into the matches free!”

The Ivorian has been a top MLS rumor target for more than two years, since we all knew his days at Stamford Bridge were done. But he opted to take the cash-dash into China and then quickly rerouted his (apparently ill chosen) course to Turkey’s Galatasaray.

Reports out of Turkey now say Drogba, his relationship in a bad place with the regional heavyweight, is set to leave at season’s end.

And if you are one to believe “reports,” the powerful striker may have already been offered a deal to join Seattle.

Clearly, that would mean the end of Obafemi Martins era at Seattle. Or, MLS could unveil the latest “Retention Fund” maneuver, meaning they will make up another rule on the fly that backs into whatever suits the loudest voices in the room, and, “Voila!”

Either way, it would set off another round of “Have vs. Have Nots” talk around MLS as the Sounders continue to rotate DPs through CenturyLink Field.

Who says this is a league of parity?

1. cfutch - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:52 PM

no thank you. If he would have come after he left Chelsea instead of heading to China I would be okay with it. But now he’s just looking for a paycheck

2. mikeevergreen - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM

It;s a league of parody. Send Drogba to DC United. Then he can square off against Thierry henry three times a year. THAT sells tickets.

3. dfstell - Feb 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I don’t know if I’m excited or not. I just haven’t seen him play enough for Galatasary to know how good he’d be. A big, strong, athletic guy who is good in the air seems like a good fit for MLS though. There’s a lot of direct play and he’s benefit from that.

4. tylerbetts - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM

If Seattle Sounders want to keep spending money on big names that (hopefully) bring additional attention and TV viewers to MLS, and continue to do so midseason, so as to disrupt chemistry and rhythm and keep them from a Cup or Shield, I’m game for that.

Seems like the best of both worlds.

5. hildezero - Feb 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Hell nah. He should’ve came to MLS first.

6. imagreatguy76 - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I’m skeptical. He’ll be 36. How much can he possibly have left?

7. midtec2005 - Feb 20, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Anyone that spends money on him is a dolt. He just wants a paycheck. Go away.

8. chadmoon1 - Feb 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM

All of the chasing a paycheck type could be true. But I’ll take him here at FC Dallas so he can cash our checks and score goals for us!

• chadmoon1 - Feb 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Whoops! Meant “hype”.

9. nanknowsfootball - Feb 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Haha, I wonder if the people commenting are new to soccer??? Drogba is a game changer!! He always has been!! He would be a huge star in MLS. His goal scoring abilities would earn fans REAL quick!! This would be great for MLS and whichever team got him!!

Breaking down Di Maria, Balotelli deals