Feb 19, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
The New England Revolution have acquired striker Teal Bunbury from reigning MLS champion Sporting KC, the club announced Wednesday.
KC picks up the Revs natural 2015 first-round SuperDraft pick as well as allocation money in the deal, while New England hopes its attack will be bolstered by a return to form from the forward who tortured defenses in 2011.
Bunbury, 23, scored 11 times and added three assists in his breakout 2011 campaign in Kansas City, giving him 16 goals over his first 36 appearances in MLS. But injuries led to a dip in form, as he scored just five times in 2012 and didn’t tally last season.
“We’ve been very open about our desire to add some additional attacking players to our roster ahead of the season and we believe Teal is a player who can make the sort of impact we need,” New England general manager Michael Burns said. “He’s a talented, young player who can add a dynamic element to our system, and we’re looking forward to getting him into camp and integrated into our group as soon as possible.”
Forwards on the Revs preseason roster are Jerry Bengtson, Charlie Davies, Dimitry Imbongo, Saer Sene and first round pick Patrick Mullins. The Bunbury addition allows the Revs even more patience as Sene recovers from the broken ankle he suffered in October and Mullins adapt to life as a pro.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs