Feb 19, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Two questions: Was there a bet out there on “Home teams scoring zero (0) goals over the first two days of elimination play in Champions League”?
And, why weren’t we all on it? Heavy?
Indeed, home teams went 0-for-4 on scoring as the opening foursome of UEFA Champions League elimination matches came and went. The visitors hold a 9-0 edge. Go figure.
Arsenal’s failure to find goal against Bayern Munich wasn’t a shocker, although things certainly would have been different but for Mesut Ozil’s ongoing issues from the penalty spot. Neither was Bayer’s capitulation against Zlatan Ibrahimović-powered PSG.
But AC Milan’s blanking at the San Siro by the Spaniards was certainly surprising. And the real shocker here was the Citizens failure to score against Barcelona at the Etihad.
Here’s the breakdown of the four matches Tuesday and Wednesday:
- Manchester City loses to Barcelona, 2-0
- Bayer Leverkusen loses to PSG, 4-0
- AC Milan loses to Atletico, 1-0
- Arsenal losses to Bayern Munich, 2-0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear