Feb 19, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
Two questions: Was there a bet out there on “Home teams scoring zero (0) goals over the first two days of elimination play in Champions League”?
And, why weren’t we all on it? Heavy?
Indeed, home teams went 0-for-4 on scoring as the opening foursome of UEFA Champions League elimination matches came and went. The visitors hold a 9-0 edge. Go figure.
Arsenal’s failure to find goal against Bayern Munich wasn’t a shocker, although things certainly would have been different but for Mesut Ozil’s ongoing issues from the penalty spot. Neither was Bayer’s capitulation against Zlatan Ibrahimović-powered PSG.
But AC Milan’s blanking at the San Siro by the Spaniards was certainly surprising. And the real shocker here was the Citizens failure to score against Barcelona at the Etihad.
Here’s the breakdown of the four matches Tuesday and Wednesday:
- Manchester City loses to Barcelona, 2-0
- Bayer Leverkusen loses to PSG, 4-0
- AC Milan loses to Atletico, 1-0
- Arsenal losses to Bayern Munich, 2-0
- Raheem Sterling named best young player in Europe, wins ‘Golden Boy’ award 0
- Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 2
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 2
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3