Feb 19, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
It was a great day for Andrey Semyonov, and a confusing one for… well, Andrey Semyonov.
ESPN has the story that Russia boss Fabio Capello was ready for a look at Andrey Semyonov, the defender with Terek Grozny in the Russian Premier League.
But Russia’s Football Association went a-callin’ to another Andrey Semyonov, a reserve for Locomotiv Moscow.
It’s not nearly as absurd as it sounds, though. The reserve played had suited up for the Russia U-21 team on seven occasions, and if you were looking up information on the Terek Grozny player and clicked his name on the mighty Wikipedia… it would take you to the player page for the reserve.
Well it struck the players as funny as well. The Grozny defended did not expect to be called up, while the Lokomotiv reserve, quoted below, was surprised but figured it was real.
“My teammates congratulated me on the call up. They were surprised but sincere because the information was official.
“I was surprised too to put it mildly, but I do have an experience with the Under-21 team. I will do my best to get a real call-up in the future.”
Yet now they’ll figure it’s the other Semyonov.
- DC United extends Ben Olsen’s contract after bounceback season 0
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 7
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars 0
- Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January 2