International Champions Cup dates set; more high-level summer soccer in the States

Feb 20, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT

Manchester City's Vincent Kompany prepares to kick the ball as Chelsea's Oscar challenges during the first half of their friendly soccer match at Yankee Stadium in New York Reuters

Can we be excited about the next roster of fine teams coming through for the Guinness International Champions Cup and have a little go at the tournament, too?

Of course we can!

More details are out today on the second edition of this tournament. And there are some great names, including Manchester United, Manchester City, Real Madrid and Liverpool.

Roma, Inter Milan and AC Milan from Italy, plus Greece’s Olympiakos round out this little slice of summer soccer awesome. It plays out over 13 U.S. cities from July 26 to Aug. 4.

The quibble is here:

Today’s release (linked above) from Fox Soccer, the tournament’s broadcast partner, calls it a “fiercely contested eight team soccer extravaganza.”

This is a terrific event, one that allows domestic fans to get up-close looks at some of the world’s top stars. But it is what it is: exhibition soccer. (Which, by the way, will not include some of the real A-listers, as they’ll be on break following World Cup play … but details, details.)

But “fiercely contested?” Come on!

Priorities here for these clubs, roughly in this order, are: Don’t get hurt. Make money. Don’t get hurt. Make lots of money. Get some touches and generate some fitness for the coming season. Experiment with lineups and combos. Don’t get hurt. Shop. Don’t get hurt.

The final (between group winners) is at Sun Life Stadium, Miami, Florida.

Group A

• Real Madrid
  • Inter Milan
  • Manchester United
  • AS Roma

Group B:

• Olympiacos
  • Manchester City
  • AC Milan
  • Liverpool

SCHEDULE

July 24: Olympiacos v. AC Milan, site TBD

July 26: Real Madrid CF vs. Inter Milan at University of Phoenix Stadium, Phoenix

July 26: Manchester United vs. AS Roma, Sports Authority Field at Mile High, Denver

July 27: AC Milan v. Manchester City, Heinz Field, Pittsburgh

July 27: Liverpool FC vs. Olympiacos, Soldier Field, Chicago

July 29: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan, FedEx Field, Washington D.C.

July 29: Real Madrid CF vs. AS Roma,  Cotton Bowl, Dallas

July 30: Manchester City vs. Liverpool FC, Yankee Stadium, New York

Aug. 2: Inter Milan vs. AS Roma, Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia

Aug. 2: Real Madrid CF vs. Manchester United – TBD

Aug. 2: Olympiacos vs. Manchester City, TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis

Aug. 2: AC Milan vs. Liverpool FC, Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte

1. Greg - Feb 20, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Yeah, the email I got had the headline: “RONALDO, ROONEY, BALOTELLI, TOURE, CAMBIASSO,
    DOMINGUEZ, DE ROSSI AND MORE!”

O RLY? Regardless, I got my ticket for Liverpool in Charlotte, it’s better than nothing

2. Matthew - Feb 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Reblogged this on Carolina Mountain Blue.

3. tylerbetts - Feb 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I’ll see your “minor quibble”, and raise you a much larger one.

That A.S. Roma vs Manchester United game? In Denver?

Same day as a Colorado Rapids regular season game. In Denver. Across town. At a smaller stadium.

That does nothing to help soccer grow locally. But it does get my blood boiling.

4. christophershearin - Feb 20, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Indianapolis has to make the list

5. footballer4ever - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Darn it! I was hoping for a Machester United vs Real Madrid final , but since MU & RM are in the same group then there’s no chance that will happen anymore. Even though I am aware this is a World Cup year which runs the risk of football clubs wanting not to bring their top players like last year, but I hope they realize they coiuld be making a big mistake to disrespect the US fans if they choose to pull a fast one on fans. If so, this preseason Euroepan football tournament can easily lose the glamour earned as it happened to the International football challenge. I already bought four expensive tickets for the final keeping the faith them football clubs will honor and put a deserving effort on the field for everyone to enjoy.

• footballer4ever - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Bring Manchester United vs Real Madrid to Sunlife Stadium since it’s still as TBD. Ross and Relevant Ventures would be crazy not to host it on top of the final.

6. godsholytrousers - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I’ll not be attending any of these games, but I will be at plenty of MLS games.

• tylerbetts - Feb 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Me, too! Despite being an out-of-market fan.

• footballer4ever - Feb 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I won’t be attending any MLS games because I am not in a MLS market (at least until 2016 or 2017). Even though I don’t attend MLS games, I do follow and watch plenty of games on TV/Online/MLS Live which makes me a passionate MLS football fan. Yes, MLS football fan even though there’s a clown out there who finds it funny to call “soccer” football. (You know who you are class-clown)

PST Extra: The Manchester derby