Johannsson in Europa League action today; What does it mean to Klinsmann?

Feb 20, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

Dutch Eredivisie - Vitesse Arnhem v AZ Alkmaar Getty Images

Aron Johannsson will look to add to his brilliant goal-scoring campaign by netting his second European goal of AZ Alkmaar’s Europa campaign during a Round of 32 rematch with FC Slovan Liberec.

Granted that rematch is more than seven years old, but it’s a rematch. Alkmaar has never lost to a Czech side and a win over two legs would keep the Dutch team in pretty decent territory when it comes to advancement.

And if Johannsson can add to his stellar Eredivisie scoring record by advancing deep into European play, how could it not make an even bigger impact on Jurgen Klinsmann as he takes a look at his strikers for the upcoming World Cup. In fact, would you put his odds at starting a World Cup match at any worse than 50/50?

The winner of AZ and Liberec will Anzhi Makhachkala or Genk on Mach 13 & 20. Genk will be favored in that match after coming out of a weaker table unscathed in group play (4W-2D-0L).

1. rafibomb10 - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I personally believe we will not know the answer to that question for a few more months. But my gut tells me that the kid needs to get action in the WC for sure. He is lethal in front of goal. What makes him so intriguing is his quickness, and the look he has. What I mean is Jozy is built like a linebacker, not a soccer player, which I love by the way. He gives us a body up top that scores goals and bodies big center backs. But having a quick natural forward like Aaron is superb!

I give his chances 95% as of right now…

• el timo - Feb 20, 2014 at 7:28 PM

“He is lethal in front of goal…his quickness.” Because of these rare and critical qualities, the kid doesn’t need to do anything but stay healthy to get on the pitch for the US in WC. The Old Guard, CD and EJ and Wondo, will be spectators (on or off the pitch.) I think Altidore and Johansson will look a lot like Altidore and Charlie Davies did when they shook up the Spaniards and the Brazilians in the Confederations Cup in South Africa. This I fervently pray.

• icereaper10 - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Yeah, he will definitely get plenty of action in the WC for sure.

2. unclemosesgreen - Feb 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Right now I think he’s a change of pace substitution if we’re a goal down or trying to turn one point into three. He still has time to play his way into a more significant role before the WC.

• icereaper10 - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:42 AM

I think he’s already going to play a significant role for the U.S. in the WC as a super sub, but if he keeps scoring goals he’s going to be making a really good case for Klinsmann to start him.

3. boscoesworld - Feb 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM

He is already the second best striker on the USNT! If they play a 4-4-2 he should be a lock.

• jimmycrackcorn99 - Feb 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I would really like JK to give the 4-4-2 another try in the next few friendlies with AJ & JA up front and Zusi, Donovan, Bradley & Dempsey in midfield.

• el timo - Feb 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Word. But be prepared to sub out Dempsey quickly.

• bear06 - Feb 22, 2014 at 3:53 AM

I think he’s going to stick with the 4-2-3-1 and possibly change it to a 4-4-2 in the second half. Also if Donovan starts then it’s highly unlikely Zusi will start.

FIRED: Where David Moyes went wrong