Feb 20, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Aron Johannsson will look to add to his brilliant goal-scoring campaign by netting his second European goal of AZ Alkmaar’s Europa campaign during a Round of 32 rematch with FC Slovan Liberec.
Granted that rematch is more than seven years old, but it’s a rematch. Alkmaar has never lost to a Czech side and a win over two legs would keep the Dutch team in pretty decent territory when it comes to advancement.
And if Johannsson can add to his stellar Eredivisie scoring record by advancing deep into European play, how could it not make an even bigger impact on Jurgen Klinsmann as he takes a look at his strikers for the upcoming World Cup. In fact, would you put his odds at starting a World Cup match at any worse than 50/50?
The winner of AZ and Liberec will Anzhi Makhachkala or Genk on Mach 13 & 20. Genk will be favored in that match after coming out of a weaker table unscathed in group play (4W-2D-0L).
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 5
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 0
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 1
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2