Feb 20, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Aron Johannsson will look to add to his brilliant goal-scoring campaign by netting his second European goal of AZ Alkmaar’s Europa campaign during a Round of 32 rematch with FC Slovan Liberec.
Granted that rematch is more than seven years old, but it’s a rematch. Alkmaar has never lost to a Czech side and a win over two legs would keep the Dutch team in pretty decent territory when it comes to advancement.
And if Johannsson can add to his stellar Eredivisie scoring record by advancing deep into European play, how could it not make an even bigger impact on Jurgen Klinsmann as he takes a look at his strikers for the upcoming World Cup. In fact, would you put his odds at starting a World Cup match at any worse than 50/50?
The winner of AZ and Liberec will Anzhi Makhachkala or Genk on Mach 13 & 20. Genk will be favored in that match after coming out of a weaker table unscathed in group play (4W-2D-0L).
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 0
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 1
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3
- Lille, Werder Bremen noted frontrunners for Jozy Altidore’s services 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 17 0
- Another set back for Southampton: Jay Rodriguez’s nightmare year continues 0