Feb 20, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Aron Johannsson will look to add to his brilliant goal-scoring campaign by netting his second European goal of AZ Alkmaar’s Europa campaign during a Round of 32 rematch with FC Slovan Liberec.
Granted that rematch is more than seven years old, but it’s a rematch. Alkmaar has never lost to a Czech side and a win over two legs would keep the Dutch team in pretty decent territory when it comes to advancement.
And if Johannsson can add to his stellar Eredivisie scoring record by advancing deep into European play, how could it not make an even bigger impact on Jurgen Klinsmann as he takes a look at his strikers for the upcoming World Cup. In fact, would you put his odds at starting a World Cup match at any worse than 50/50?
The winner of AZ and Liberec will Anzhi Makhachkala or Genk on Mach 13 & 20. Genk will be favored in that match after coming out of a weaker table unscathed in group play (4W-2D-0L).
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 0
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0