Feb 20, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
This is the best soccer-related element going around social media today. It’s an old team photo featuring two figures who weighed heavily in Bayern Munich’s 2-0 win Wednesday over Arsenal – a win that leaves the Bavarian giants in huge control of the teams’ Round-of-16 Champions League series.
What if Mesut Ozil had made his early penalty kick? Might that have turned the match, adding yet more confidence into a Gunners bunch that was punching toe-to-toe with its heavily favored opposition?
We’ll never know. The big German wall that is Manuel Neuer stood his ground and refused to flinch – and then palmed away Ozil’s tentative spot shot.
In the photo (Thanks, by the way, to KICK TV for the tip on this one) you will notice the circles around a young Neuer and a young Ozil:
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 2
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0