Feb 20, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This is the best soccer-related element going around social media today. It’s an old team photo featuring two figures who weighed heavily in Bayern Munich’s 2-0 win Wednesday over Arsenal – a win that leaves the Bavarian giants in huge control of the teams’ Round-of-16 Champions League series.
What if Mesut Ozil had made his early penalty kick? Might that have turned the match, adding yet more confidence into a Gunners bunch that was punching toe-to-toe with its heavily favored opposition?
We’ll never know. The big German wall that is Manuel Neuer stood his ground and refused to flinch – and then palmed away Ozil’s tentative spot shot.
In the photo (Thanks, by the way, to KICK TV for the tip on this one) you will notice the circles around a young Neuer and a young Ozil:
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0