Feb 20, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This is the best soccer-related element going around social media today. It’s an old team photo featuring two figures who weighed heavily in Bayern Munich’s 2-0 win Wednesday over Arsenal – a win that leaves the Bavarian giants in huge control of the teams’ Round-of-16 Champions League series.
What if Mesut Ozil had made his early penalty kick? Might that have turned the match, adding yet more confidence into a Gunners bunch that was punching toe-to-toe with its heavily favored opposition?
We’ll never know. The big German wall that is Manuel Neuer stood his ground and refused to flinch – and then palmed away Ozil’s tentative spot shot.
In the photo (Thanks, by the way, to KICK TV for the tip on this one) you will notice the circles around a young Neuer and a young Ozil:
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1