Feb 20, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This is the best soccer-related element going around social media today. It’s an old team photo featuring two figures who weighed heavily in Bayern Munich’s 2-0 win Wednesday over Arsenal – a win that leaves the Bavarian giants in huge control of the teams’ Round-of-16 Champions League series.
What if Mesut Ozil had made his early penalty kick? Might that have turned the match, adding yet more confidence into a Gunners bunch that was punching toe-to-toe with its heavily favored opposition?
We’ll never know. The big German wall that is Manuel Neuer stood his ground and refused to flinch – and then palmed away Ozil’s tentative spot shot.
In the photo (Thanks, by the way, to KICK TV for the tip on this one) you will notice the circles around a young Neuer and a young Ozil:
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 0
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 1
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 1
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1
- Barcelona’s transfer ban suspended by FIFA, should allow club to make summer moves 0
- Champions League preview: Defending champion Bayern Munich looks to end Real Madrid quest for 10th title 0