Feb 20, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
This is the best soccer-related element going around social media today. It’s an old team photo featuring two figures who weighed heavily in Bayern Munich’s 2-0 win Wednesday over Arsenal – a win that leaves the Bavarian giants in huge control of the teams’ Round-of-16 Champions League series.
What if Mesut Ozil had made his early penalty kick? Might that have turned the match, adding yet more confidence into a Gunners bunch that was punching toe-to-toe with its heavily favored opposition?
We’ll never know. The big German wall that is Manuel Neuer stood his ground and refused to flinch – and then palmed away Ozil’s tentative spot shot.
In the photo (Thanks, by the way, to KICK TV for the tip on this one) you will notice the circles around a young Neuer and a young Ozil:
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 6