Feb 21, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This has all the makings of a rough week for Yanks in England’s top flight.
USA’s pair of Premier League goalkeepers have road tests ahead of them, as Tim Howard and Everton look to hold on to their European dreams with a trip to Stamford Bridge early Saturday, while Brad Guzan‘s Aston Villa side is off to play struggling Newcastle United on Sunday.
Jozy Altidore will look to shake the dust off his goal-scoring record with a trip to the Emirates to face Arsenal on Saturday, while Geoff Cameron caps off a silly road weekend for Yanks in England by bringing Stoke into the Etihad for a Saturday date with Manchester City. If Clint Dempsey finds his way back into Fulham’s team, it’ll be on Saturday at West Bromwich Albion.
Tim Ream and Bolton host mid-table Championship side Watford, while Danny Williams will look to build momentum after scoring last week when Reading welcomes Blackburn. Brek Shea‘s Barnsley faces a huge six-point relegation battle with Milwall at the home of the Tykes.
Juan Agudelo’s FC Utrecht side is just two points ahead of the drop zone in the Eredivisie and they face a Sunday match with midtable Groningen.
Sacha Kljestan and Anderlecht are back in Jupiler Pro League action with a Saturday game at Lokeren, who sit in fifth place, five points back of No. 3 Anderlecht. Kljestan’s team is 15 points out of first and five points back of No. 2 Brugge.
Fabian Johnson continues his return for Hoffenheim when they try to steal three points at Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday. Elsewhere in the Bundesliga, John Anthony Brooks will look to get back into the lineup when Hertha Berlin faces relegation-scrapping Stuttgart on Saturday. He was an unused substitute last week after being a 37th minute pull three days earlier.
Jermaine Jones sent a message to Besitkas fans on Twitter that he plans to be ready for this weekend’s matchup with Galatasaray on Saturday at Noon.
Over in France, FC Nantes hosts Stade Rennes, and Canaries striker Ale Bedoya will try to keep the visitors from leapfrogging them in the table.
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers